How to Choose an Assisted Living Facility in Texas
Assisted living communities are centered around support, growth and security. Even though they may offer similar services and amenities, every community is different in a myriad of ways. That’s why it’s so important to do your research and find the one that makes the most sense for your needs. Keep reading for some essential tips on how to choose an assisted living facility in Texas.
7 Tips for Researching Assisted Living Communities
1. Remember that “Assisted Living Facility” is an Out-of-Date Term
When assisted living first came around, locations offering assisted living services were called “assisted living facilities” because they focused more on healthcare than on providing a home to residents. In the last few decades, however, assisted living has evolved. Now, assisted living provides the same high-quality services in a comfortable residential setting.
Focus your search on finding a community that makes you feel at home instead of one that makes you feel like a patient in a hospital. By taking this approach to your search, you’ll improve your chances of finding a place where you feel comfortable long-term versus a place that simply provides the more clinical services you need.
2. Map Out a Location
Location is another key element when you start your search for an assisted living community. Would you like to be close to a major city? Is it important to be near your family? The first step is to pick a region and then look at the options in the desired area.
For example, assisted living in Fredericksburg, Texas provides a quiet location where residents can relax but still be close enough to major cities like Austin and San Antonio to make visiting family easy. Residents without family nearby may simply enjoy day or weekend trips to the city while luxuriating in the peace and quiet of their new community.
3. Evaluate the Services You Need
Before you look into the services that assisted living communities offer, think about what you hope to get out of them. There are all kinds of communities with different specialties, so choose one that offers the services and resources that are most important to you. These are a few types of services you should expect:
- Assistance with Daily Tasks – The most common service offered in assisted living, assistance with daily tasks include help with dressing, bathing, mobility and more
- Dining – Assisted living communities offer meals prepared by in-house chefs, the best of which are personalized to your needs. Do you have dietary restrictions? Could you use some help transitioning to a healthier diet? The dining options offered at an assisted living community are just as important for your health as they are for your taste buds. Look for a community that has plenty of healthy and enticing meal options, especially if you’re a foodie.
- Housekeeping – Cleaning up gets tedious. Fortunately, the right assisted living community will provide all the housekeeping services you need. These types of duties include cleaning, maintenance and laundry.
- Medication Reminders – It can be tough to keep track of medications, but the right team will help keep you on schedule. Your assisted living community team members should be able to help you with your medication regimen, so you never miss a dose.
- Wellness Programs – Staying healthy involves more than just caring for your physical needs. You have to stay committed to your emotional, spiritual and social health if you want to enhance your lifestyle. The best assisted living communities will offer a holistic wellness philosophy that supports whole-person wellness and encourages you to thrive.
4. Consider the Size of the Community
The size of an assisted living community comes with certain implications. A huge community might have tons of resources, but it could also be confusing or overwhelming. On the other hand, an undersized community might lack activities or amenities.
Find out how many apartments or residents there are in each community on your short list so you can choose a comfortable size. Look at the assisted living apartment floor plans and see which configuration best fits your taste.
5. Mind Your Budget
Price factors into any major life decision, and choosing an assisted living community is no exception. The good news is you may have more financial flexibility than you realize. If you need help paying for assisted living services, there are a few programs that can help including:
- Veteran’s Affairs benefits
- Long-term care insurance
- State assistance programs
6. Find Out What’s Included
No matter how your fee payment is structured, you should always know what you’re paying for when you move into an assisted living apartment. Find out which services and utilities are included in your monthly cost and what kinds of amenities will be available to you. Senior living communities should also offer regular physical and mental health programs.
Utilities are easy to overlook and quick to add up, so you should know which ones are included. Here are a few utilities that assisted living communities typically include:
- Water and sewer
- Maintenance and repair
- Garbage removal
- Basic cable television
Assisted living communities are meant to be pleasant and comfortable, and the amenities sweeten the deal. When you move into an assisted living neighborhood, you’ll have access to all sorts of resources and services to use as you please. Here are some examples of the amenities you might enjoy:
- Fitness center
- Dog park
- Courtyards, patios and balconies
7. Take a Virtual or In-Person Tour
No matter how much you research your options online, you need to actually go to the community to fully understand what’s available and how comfortable you’ll be making a move.
During times when a real-life visit isn’t possible, such as during COVID-19, you can browse the community’s photo gallery or ask about a virtual tour. Virtual tours can be done via a webpage with images and videos, or they can be done with staff who walk you through the community while explaining each area to you. This allows you to get a feel for the layout of the community before you see it in person.
Find a Quality Assisted Living Community in Texas
The right assisted living community should feel like home. At The Villages of Windcrest, we make Texas assisted living as comfortable as possible. We provide a range of services and amenities to keep residents entertained and engaged both mentally and physically. If you would like more information about our senior living services, contact us online. We’ll be happy to help you understand the options available to you, including the possibility of a virtual tour. You can also download our free download our free Assisted Living Guide.